Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I'm My One Follower......& the songs...

The songs: keep coming. I used to think that writing a song was magic, some kind of mystical blessing from wherever you pray to. Now, I don't think they're magic. I think songs come from the same place dreams (the kind you get when you sleep) come from - at least that's what it feels like to me.

One of the "methods" I use to write songs is to just press record and see what comes out and that has really worked well not only in accomplishing writing songs but more importantly - communicating with myself. I'm always the last one to know what my songs are about and most of the time I wish I would have said whatever I said to myself sooner. I don't know if most songwriters communicate with themselves through their songs because I don't know many songwriters.

My only other songwriting method is: music first, lyrics second - this one is kind of confusing to me because musically my songs are as simple as they come, and why that would suggest the vast array of lyrics, I don't know. There is a lot that I don't know about what I do, and I wasted A LOT of time trying to figure out the science of writing songs, music theory, etc., and I never got it - because it doesn't come from a place of music theory, or any other technical black hole, it comes from how I feel, period. That is why I love it so much, I feel like it's the easiest and most relieving way to communicate my feelings. I've said this before, but it is so weird to perform songs, spill your soul - have all eyes on you when that's not really what you're about as a person. That is a mystery that I will never figure out - the introverted performer - that's me.

I noticed that this new blog has only one follower, me - and I am thrilled with that because the only person I have to write songs and sing them for is myself, in the end. This is the one area in my life that I am 100% certain I don't give a fuck what anybody else thinks because I'm gonna say what I'm gonna say - in the only way I know how.

If anyone reads this blog besides me AND if I happen to play a show with you - don't think I'm rude or aloof, I'm a shy person and may or may not talk to you depending on my mood, so I'm shy and moody - awesome.

Until next time.....peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment