Monday, July 5, 2010

I'm a "people-ist"

I'm obviously a woman, I am not a feminist - am I thankful I can vote? Yes, I absolutely am. Am I proud of all of the great things that so many great women have done? Yes, I absolutely am - women and being a woman make me proud everyday.

Have there been situations in my life that would have been different and/or I would have been treated different if I was a man? Sure, and this kind of thing pisses me off – but, it pisses me off even more to whine about it. At some point (maybe I am the only woman who feels this way) male OR female – you have to just do your thing – as a person…..


That being said, it's funny how easily song interpretation defaults to "feminism" when the song is by a woman. For this reason, I'm going to list some of my songs and what they actually are about - you'll see I'm really a "people-ist".

Clouds in My Hair – about growing old and dying and writing songs on the “other side” – the “eyeballs in my dress” lyric is a reference to how personal songwriting can be…..I know, total let down…I should have left that one a mystery.

Rumor – this song is about the most horrible, awful and disgusting display of corporate greed I’ve ever seen. This song told me that I felt guilty because of my ethical duty of silence (lyric: “bound & gagged”)….Oh, how I wish I could be more specific.

Stealing My Amens – Primal Scream Therapy.

Love & Pictures – leaving a legacy.

She’s a Gun – pretty self explanatory….

In Stranger’s Clothes – for my grandma.

Handprints Slide – protests child abuse.

You Got Greens – stupidity, selfishness.

Ice In Your Glass – alcoholics.

Much Less of A Lady – this song is very specific and pointed – I will never ever say what this song is about.

There are 11 songs above, and they all have something in common – NONE of them are about being a woman, being a feminist or similar….They are all about PEOPLE.

I’m compelled to write about things I see, or experience – or things I think that are just fucking stupid – mostly, I write about the things that hurt my heart the most.

peace out....Annie.

No comments:

Post a Comment